Advice to Athol Car Hire customers on the abolition of the paper counterpart to the UK photocard licence.
From 8 June 2015, UK driving licence holders hiring within the UK & Isle of Man will need to use “Share Driving Licence”, the new online service from the DVLA, for validation of their driving record.
How does this affect the way you hire a vehicle?
From 8 June 2015, the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence will no longer be valid. UK driving licence holders hiring within the UK & Isle of Man will instead need to use “Share Driving Licence”, the new online DVLA service, for validation of their driving record.
- DVLA: Will provide an online service which you will need to access no more than 21 days before collecting your vehicle. The service generates a one-time passcode, which is valid for a maximum period of 21 days, and requires the driver to submit their driving licence number, national Insurance number and postcode. This passcode must be presented when picking up any rental vehicle from Europcar.
- Not working?: Any drivers unable to obtain a passcode should contact the DVLA on: 0300 083 0013 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)
- Alternatives: Athol Car Hire can help drivers obtain the passcode by giving them access to ‘Share Driving Licence’ when picking up the vehicle, provided the driver brings their National Insurance number.
- Keep in mind: You will need to have your National Insurance number at hand when you are accessing the DVLA website – either at home, or at our premises.
- UK licence holders hiring abroad: will be unaffected
- Non-UK licence holders hiring in the UK: will be unaffected
- More Info: Watch the official DVLA overview video about the changes by clicking here or call our reservations helpline on 01624820092